In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton Gifford like this:
BROUGHTON-GIFFORD, a parish in Bradford district, Wilts; on the Great Western railway and the river Avon, near the Kennet and Avon canal, 1½ mile SW of Melksham r. station, and 4 ENE of Bradford. It has a post office under Melksham. Acres, 1,677. Real property, £3,707. Pop., 621. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. Broughton-Gifford House is the seat of the Staples family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £355.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the time of Henry VII.; was recently restored; and has a brass of 1620. There are a Baptist chapel, a school with £20, and other charities with £12.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broughton Gifford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broughton Gifford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton Gifford in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton Gifford".