In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brokenborough like this:
BROKENBOROUGH, a parish in Malmesbury district, Wilts.; on Akeman-street, 2 miles NW of Malmesbury, and 7¼ W by S of Minety r. station. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 2,552. Real property, £3,732. Pop., 503. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings; and passed to the Molines. Some Roman remains have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brokenborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brokenborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brokenborough in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brokenborough".