In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broad Town like this:
BROAD-TOWN, a hamlet in Broad-Hinton parish, and a chapelry in Broad-Hinton and Cliffe-Pypard parishes, Wilts. The hamlet lies 1¼ mile NW of BroadHinton village, and 3 SE of Wootton-Basset r. station. The chapelry includes the hamlet; and was constituted in 1846. Post Town, Broad-Hinton, under Swindon. Pop., 473. Houses, 98. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100.* Patrons, the Vicars of Broad-Hinton and Cliffe-Pypard alternately.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broad Town has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broad Town and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broad Town in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broad Town".