In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Britford like this:
BRITFORD, or Burford, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands adjacent to the Salisbury and Southampton canal, near the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, 1½ mile SE of Salisbury; and has a fair on 12 Aug. The parish includes also the tything of East Harnham, and the hamlet of Longford; and its Post Town is Salisbury. ...
Acres, 3,148. Real property, £6,980. Pop., 872. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to King Harold; and belongs now to the Earl of Radnor. Longford Castle, the seat of the Earl, occupied by Viscount Folkestone, was built about 1591 by Sir Thomas Gorges; is a curiously constructed edifice, of triangular form, with inner court; and possesses a very fine picture gallery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £281. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is cruciform; and contains a mausoleum of the Bouveries, and a curious, sculptured altar-tomb, usually, but erroneously, said to be that of the Duke of Buckingham who was beheaded by Richard III. East Harnham vicarage is a separate benefice. The parish contains Alderbury workhouse. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, a tything, a liberty, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 9,095. Pop., 5,623. Houses, 985.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Britford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Britford ".