In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bratton like this:
BRATTON, a chapelry in Westbury parish, Wilts; 4 miles ENE of Westbury r. station. It has a post office under Westbury. Rated property, £4,199. Pop., 744. Houses, 170. The property is much subdivided. Bratton Castle, on the crown of a hill, is an ancient camp of 23 acres, partly defended by a double rampart, in some parts 36 feet high, and said to have been constructed by the Danes. The White Horse, on the S slope below the camp, is a colossal figure similar to the White Horse of Berks, probably ancient, and originally of rude design, but remodelled in 1778. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Westbury. Charities, £36.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bratton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bratton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bratton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bratton".