In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitewell like this:
WHITEWELL, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire and W. R. Yorkshire; 7 miles NW by W of Clitheroe r. station. It has a post-office under Clitheroe. Pop., 553. Browsholme Hall, Leagram Hall, and Fair-Oak House are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £115. Patrons, Holme's Trustees. The church is good; and there are a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1865, and a Church school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitewell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ribble Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitewell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitewell, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitewell".