In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowland like this:
BOWLAND-FOREST, an ancient forest on the mutual border of Lancashire and W. R. Yorkshire. It included the parishes of Mitton and Slaidburn, and part of the parish of Whalley; and belonged to the honour of Clitheroe. It contained wild deer so late as 1812; but is now enclosed and cultivated. The family of Parker, of Brownsholme Hall, have long held the office of hereditary forester.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bowland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ribble Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bowland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowland, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bowland".