In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birkin like this:
BIRKIN, a township in Pontefract district, and a parish in Pontefract and Selby districts, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Aire and on the Selby canal, 3¾ miles NE of Knottingley r. station, and 7½ SW of Selby. Acres, 2,064. Real property, £3,515. Pop., 168. ...
Houses, 35. The parish contains also the townships of Hurst-Courtney, Temple-Hurst, Chapel-Haddlesey, and West Haddlesey; the last of which has a post office under Selby. Acres, 5,509. Real property, £9,438. Pop., 821. Houses, 184. The living is a rectory, with Chapel-Haddlesey chapelry, in the diocese of York. Value, £1,008.* Patron, the Rev. T. Hill. The church is ancient. There are three Wesleyan chapels.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birkin, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birkin ".