In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birdforth like this:
BIRDFORTH, a chapelry and a wapentake in N. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry is in Coxwold parish; and lies 3 miles ENE of Sessay r. station, and 5 NNW of Easingwold. Post Town, Coxwold, under Easingwold. Acres, 604. Real property, £935. Pop., 40. Houses, 8. The property is divided between two. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £94. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is tolerable. -The wapentake includes seventeen parishes and parts of six others. Acres, 103,177. Pop. in 1851, 14,462; in 1861, 14,072. Houses, 3,042.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birdforth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birdforth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birdforth, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birdforth".