In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boyton like this:
BOYTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Willy, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 1½ mile N W of Codford station, and 2 ½ SE of Heytesbury. It includes Corton township; and its Post Town is Upton-Lovel, under Bath. Acres, 3,956. Real property, £3,338. Pop., 410. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry II., to the Giffords; and passed to the Lamberts. The mansion on it was built, in 1618, by Thomas Lambert; was occupied, in the present century, by Bourke Lambert, who collected here upwards of 30,000 species of plants; and is now the seat of the Rev. ...
Arthur Fane. A pit in the neighbourhood of the grounds, called Chapel Hole, is popularly believed to have swallowed up a church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £549.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church dates from the latter part of the 12th century; was restored in 1860, at a cost of upwards of £2,000; and contains grand monuments of the Giffords, and several new memorial windows.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Boyton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Boyton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boyton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boyton".