In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopstone like this:
BISHOPSTONE, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts; on the verge of the county, 2¾ miles S of Shrivenham r. station, and 6 E of Swindon. It has a post office under Shrivenham. Acres, 4,452. Real property, £4,513. Pop., 716. Houses, 147. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £208.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is tolerable. A school has an endowed income of £59, and other charities £69.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishopstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishopstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopstone, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopstone".