In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopstone like this:
BISHOPSTONE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Wilton, Wilts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3½ miles SSW of Wilton r. station, and 4½ SW of Salisbury.The parish includes also the hamlets of Throope, Croncheston, Faulston, Hamston, Netton, and Pitts; and its Post Town is Bishopstone, under Salisbury. Acres, 4,452Real property, with Stratford-Toney, £6,047. Pop., 685. Houses, 136. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. ...
Value, £806.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke The church is cruciform; shows features of many styles and periods, but is mainly of the time of Henry VI.; belonged to the priory of Monkton-Farleigh; and contains two stone coffins, which are supposed to hold the remains of bishops. Charities, £10.-The subdistrict contains eleven parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 31,459. Pop., 4,904. Houses, 1,036.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishopstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishopstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopstone, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopstone".