In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belton like this:
BELTON, a parish in the district of Thorne and county of Lincoln; in the Isle of Axholme, 1½ mile N of Epworth, and 3 miles SE of Godnow-Bridge r. station. It includes the hamlets of Beltoft, Carrhouse, Mosswood, Sandtoft, Westgate, and Woodhouse; and has a post office under Bawtry. Acres, 8,530. Real property, £12,403. op., 1,871. Houses, 357. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, not reported.* Patron, J. Brunyee, Esq. The church is handsome. There are three dissenting chapels, and charities £40. A fair is held on 25 Sept.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Belton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Belton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belton in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Belton".