In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berwick St Leonard like this:
BERWICK-ST. LEONARD, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; 1 mile E of Hindon, and 2¾ NNW of Tisbury r. station. Post Town, Hindon, under Salisbury. Acres, 970. Real property, with Hindon, Chickladra, and Fonthill-Gifford, £5,111. Pop., 40. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. Remains of the old manor-house, the seat of the Howes from 1629 to 1735, where the Prince of Orange slept in 1668 on his way to London, are now part of a suite of farm-buildings. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Sedghill, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £374. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was recently restored.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Berwick St Leonard has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Berwick St Leonard and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berwick St Leonard, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Berwick St Leonard".