In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berwick St John like this:
BERWICK-ST. JOHN, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; at the source of the Ebell river, under White Sheet hills, near Cranborne Chase, 4 ¼. miles S of Tisbury r. station, and 5½ E by S of Shaftesbury. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, 3,669. Real property, with Alvediston and Tollard-Royal, £7,280. Pop., 499. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Winkelbury camp, or Vespasian's camp, on a lofty ridge in the SW, is an entrenchment of 12½ acres, engirt by a single ditch and by a rampart 39 feet high; and commands a very extensive view. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £562. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is a cruciform structure of the time of Henry VII.; has a low, square, central, ornamented tower; was restored in 1861-2; and contains two ancient effigies of crusaders, and monuments of the Grove family and others. There is a Baptist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Berwick St John has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Berwick St John and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berwick St John, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Berwick St John".