In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berwick St James like this:
BERWICK-ST. JAMES, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Wiley, 2¾ miles NNW of Wishford r. station, and 5½ WSW of Amesbury. Post Town, Winterbourne-Stoke, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,487. Real property, with Stapleford, £4,662. Pop., 252. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £54. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is early English, has a Norman doorway, and is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Berwick St James has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Berwick St James and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berwick St James, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Berwick St James".