In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berwick St James like this:
BERWICK-ST. JAMES, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Wiley, 2¾ miles NNW of Wishford r. station, and 5½ WSW of Amesbury. Post Town, Winterbourne-Stoke, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,487. Real property, with Stapleford, £4,662. Pop., 252. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £54. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is early English, has a Norman doorway, and is very good.
Berwick St James is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berwick St James itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berwick St James, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berwick St James ".