In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barford St Martin like this:
BARFORD (St Martin), a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on a tributary of the river Avon, 3 miles W of Wilton r. station, and 5½ W by N of Salisbury. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tract of Grovely Wood, 2,236. Real property, together with Baverstock, £5,984. Pop., 519. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £577.* Patron, All Souls' College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barford St Martin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barford St Martin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barford St Martin, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barford St Martin".