In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Atworth like this:
ATWORTH, or Atford, a chapelry in Bradford parish, Wilts; near the Roman road, 3 miles WNW of Melksham r. station. Post Town, Melksham. Acres, 1,170. Real property, with South Wraxall, £5,337. Pop., 949. Houses, 225. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage with South Wraxall, in the diocese of Salisbury Value, £255. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church was built in 1828. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Atworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Atworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Atworth in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Atworth".