In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Nelson like this:
Nelson.-- town with ry. sta., Whalley par., NE. Lancashire, 3½ miles NE. of Burnley and 215 miles NW. of London, 827 ac., pop. 10, 381; P.O., T.O., called Nelson in Marsden; 3 Banks. Nelson is a local government district, comprising parts of Barrowford, Great and Little Marsden, and Wheatley Booth Carr townships. Several mills and mfrs. give employment to the inhabitants, and in the neighbourhood coal is worked.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nelson has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pendle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nelson and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nelson, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nelson".