In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvediston like this:
ALVESDISTON, or Alvediston, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the Avon, under White sheet-hill, 4 miles SSE of Tisbury r. station, and 8 E of Shaftesbury. Post Town, Broad Chalk under Salisbury. Acres, 2,531. Real property, with Berwick-St. John and Tollard-Royal, £7,280. Pop. 267. Houses, 56. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £82.* Patron, the Vicar of Broad Chalk. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alvediston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alvediston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvediston, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alvediston".