In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alton Priors like this:
ALTON-PRIORS, a chapelry in Overton parish, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, contiguous to Alton Barnes, 7 miles E of Devizes r. station. It includes the tything of Stowell; and its Post Town is Pewsey under Marlborough. Acres, 2,630. Real property, £2,038. Pop., 207. Houses, 46. The manor belonged anciently to Winchester monastery. The living is a curacy, an nexed to Overton vicarage, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church has a curious-brass of 1528.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alton Priors has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alton Priors and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alton Priors, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alton Priors".