In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abersychan like this:
ABERSYCHAN, a village in Trevethin parish, Monmouth; at the influx of the Sychan to the Avon, 2 miles NNW of Pontypool. It has a post office‡ under Ponty pool, and a r. station on the Eastern Valleys Monmouth railway. It is a straggling populous place, connected with the British Iron-works, on the neighbouring hill side. Here is a sub-parochial church, for a pop. of 7,979, served by a vicar, with a salary of £300, appointed by the vicar of Trevethin.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Abersychan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torfaen. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Abersychan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abersychan, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abersychan".