In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alton Barnes like this:
ALTON-BARNES, or Alton-Berners, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, near Wans Dyke, 7 miles E of Devizes r. station. Post town, Pewsey under Marlborough. Acres, 1,053. Real property, £1,520. Pop., 177. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £294.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alton Barnes has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alton Barnes and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alton Barnes, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alton Barnes".