In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allington like this:
ALLINGTON, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, and on the Roman road from Old Sarum to Silchester, 2½ miles NE of Porton r. station, and 3¾ ESE of Amesbury. Post Town, Salisbury. Acres, 936. Real property, with Cholderton and Newton-Toney, £4,537. Pop., 93. Houses, 20. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £270. Patron, the Earl of Craven. The church is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Allington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Allington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allington, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Allington".