In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderton like this:
ALDERTON, a parish in Malmesbury district, Wilts: near Akeman-street, 9 miles NNW of Chippenham r. station. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 1,587. Real property, £2,404. Pop., 192. Houses, 44. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir J. Neeld, Bart. Gore, the antiquary, who flourished in the 17th century, was a native of Alderton, and was buried in the church.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alderton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alderton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alderton".