In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderbury like this:
ALDERBURY, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, a hundred, and a district in Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, near the Salisbury branch of the South-western railway, 3 miles SE of Salisbury; and has a post office under Salisbury.The parish includes also the chapelries of Pitton and Farley. Acres, 4,332. Real property of Alderbury, Whaddon, and West Grimstead, £4,270; of Pitton and Farley, £2,921. Pop. of the parish, 1,334. Houses, 288. The property is divided among a few. ...
Alderbury House, the seat of the Forts, in the vicinity of the village, was built of materials from the ancient belfry of Salisbury cathedral. Ivy-Church, some remains of which exist in a school-house on an eminence, was an Augustinian priory founded by King Stephen. The living of Alderbury is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; and includes the curacies of Pitton and Farley. Value, £477. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is excellent. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.-The subdistrict comprises five parishes, part of another parish, and three extra parochial tracts. Acres, 24,551. Pop., 4,357. Houses, 924.-The hundred comprises most of the parishes and tracts of the subdistrict, and includes so many others as to be more extensive. Acres, 32,790. Pop., 4,877. Houses, 1,019.The district comprehends the subdistrict of Alderbury, containing the parishes of Alderbury, Winterslow, West Grimstead, Whiteparish, and Landford, part of the parish of West Dean, and the extra-parochial tracts of Clarendon-Park, Melchet-Park, and Earldoms; the suh-district of Downton, containing the parishes of Downton, Standlinch, Nunton-with-Bodenham, Odstock, Homington, Coombe-Bissett, and Stratford-St.-Anthony; and the subdistrict of Britford, containing the parishes of Britford, West Harnham, Laverstock, Stratford-under-the-Castle, and Fisherton-Anger, part of the parish of St. Martin, the liberty of Salisbury Close, and the extra-parochial Old Sarum. Acres, 53,490. Poor-rates in 1866, £11,086. Pop. in 1841, 14,174; in 1861, 14,770. Houses, 2,977. Marriages in 1866, 91; births, 472, -of which 26 were illegitimate; deaths, 337,-of which 82 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 were at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,069; births, 4,550; deaths, 3,365. The places of worship in 1851 were 23 of the Church of England, with 4,827 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 35 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 894 s.; 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,346 s.; and 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 822 s. The schools in 1851 were 27 public day-schools, with 1,633 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 325 s.; 36 Sunday schools, with 2,317 s.; and 5 evening-schools for adults, with 86 s. The work house is in Britford.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alderbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alderbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderbury, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alderbury".