In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodchester like this:
WOODCHESTER, a parish, with a village, in Stroud district, Gloucester; on the Nailsworth railway, 2½ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post-office under Stroud, and a r. station. The parish comprises 1,203 acres. Real property, £3,728. Pop., 816. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. W. Park, W. House, the Priory, Park Hill, Atcombe House , Southfield House, and Chesterhill House are chief residences. Remains of a fine Roman pavement are near the site of the old church. The manufacture of broad-cloths, scarlet and billiard cloths, and pins is carried on. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325.* Patron,Hooper, Esq. The church was rebuilt, on a new site, in 1863. There are Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, and an endowed school with £125 a year. A Dominican priory, large and handsome, was erected in 1858, and educates candidates for the priesthood. A Franciscan convent, also large and handsome, was erected in 1859, and has about 22 nuns. An orphanage, in connexion with the convent, was established in 1862; and educates, feeds, and clothes 18 children.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodchester has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodchester and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodchester, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodchester".