In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winstone like this:
WINSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Cirencester district, Gloucester; 6 miles N W by N of Cirencester r. station. It has a post-office under Cirencester. Acres, 1,437. Real property, £1,046. Pop., 230. Houses, 53. The manor belongs to Sir J. Rolt. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £290. Patron, Sir J. Rolt. The church is early English. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winstone, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winstone".