In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlby like this:
BARLBY, a chapelry in Hemingbrough parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 1 mile N of the Leeds and Hull railway, and 1¾ NE of Selby. It includes Barlby-Bank hamlet; and its Post Town is Selby. Acres, 1,411. Real property, £2,825. Pop., 471. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £65. Patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough. The church is good. Charities, £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barlby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Selby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barlby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlby, in Selby and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barlby".