In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bainton like this:
BAINTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Driffield, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 4½ miles W by S of Hutton Cranswick r. station, and 6 SW of Great Driffield. It has a post office under Driffield, and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 2,320. Real property, £4,411. Pop., 399. Houses, 78. The parish includes also the township of Neswick. Acres, 3,280. Real property, £6,086. Pop., 465. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £757.* Patron, St. John's college, Oxford. The church is ancient but very good.-The subdistrict comprises seven parishes and part of another. Acres, 31,014. Pop., 4,009. Houses, 759.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bainton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bainton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bainton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bainton".