In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Ayton like this:
AYTON (West), a township in Hutton-Bushell parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on a tributary of the Derwent river, 3½ miles W of Seamer r. station, and 5 WSW of Scarborough. Acres, 2,160. Real property, £2,704. Pop., 385. Houses, 78. Remains exist of an ancient castle which belonged to the Evers or Eures and the Cliffords.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Ayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scarborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Ayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Ayton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Ayton".