In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton St Leonards like this:
UPTON-ST. LEONARD, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Gloucester; 3 miles SE of Gloucester r. station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, 2,975. Real property, £7,829. Pop., 1,035. Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. Bowden Hall, St. Leonard's Court, and Saint Bridge House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £175.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church was improved, and the chancel rebuilt, in 1850. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a fine national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upton St Leonards has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upton St Leonards and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton St Leonards, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upton St Leonards".