In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ancaster like this:
ANCASTER a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln The village adjoins the Grantham and Boston railway, on the line of Ermine-street, 8 miles NE of Grantham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Grantham. It gave the title of Duke, now extant, to the Berties of Uffington. A Roman station either Cansennæ or Crocolana, occupied its site; and many Roman coins, bricks, and other relics have been found. A spot in the neighbourhood was the scene of a victory, in 1643, over the Parliamentarians. ...
The parish contains also the hamlets of Sudbrooke and West Willoughby. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,241. Pop., 682. Houses, 139. The property is much subdivided. The chief residences are Ancaster Hall, Sudbrooke Hall, and West Willoughby Hall. A tract which formerly was a common, wild and barren, is now enclosed and fertile. A fine oolitic building-stone is extensively quarried; has been used for Belvoir Castle, Wollaton Hall, and other great edifices; and is well exemplified in the parsonage, which was built in 1842. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £160.* Patron, the Rev. Z. S. Warren. The church is a mixture of Norman and early English. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ancaster has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ancaster and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ancaster, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ancaster".