In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tormarton like this:
TORMARTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 4 miles SE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 5 SE by E of Yate r. station. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 2,645. Real property, £4,125. Pop., 464. Houses, 99. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a rectory, united with Acton-Turville and West Littleton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £800.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is ancient, and has been beautifully restored. There are a national school, and charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tormarton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Gloucestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tormarton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tormarton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tormarton".