In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wymondham like this:
WYMONDHAM, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbrav district, Leicester; 1¾ mile NE of Whissendine r. station, and 6½ E of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post-office under Oakham. Acres, 2,852. Real property, £5,953. Pop., 851. Houses, 180. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* The church is cruciform, with W tower and spire; and was interiorly restored in 1864. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed grammar-school with £150 a year, and a national school for girls. .
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wymondham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wymondham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wymondham, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wymondham".