In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilton like this:
TILTON, a parish, with four townships, in Billesdon district, Leicester: 2½ miles NE of Billesdon, and 9 ESE of Syston r. station. It has a post-office under Leicester. Acres, 3,112. Real property, £7,280. Pop., 432. Houses, 95. T. manor is divided. Marefield manor belongs to T.Hinks, Esq.; and Whatborough, to All Souls College. Stone is quarried; and there are petrifying springs. A Roman station was at Howbank Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £380.* Patron, alternately H. Nevile, Esq., E. A. Holden, Esq., and the Rev. R. T. Adnutt. The church was restored in 1854. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilton, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tilton".