In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurcaston like this:
THURCASTON, a township and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The township lies 3½ miles W by S of Syston r. station, and 4¼ N by W of Leicester. Real property, £2,194. Pop., 248. Houses, 57. The parish contains also Cropston township and Anstey chapelry, and comprises 2,960 acres. Post town, Rothley, under Loughborough. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 258. T. manor belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough; and Anstey manor, to the Earl of Stamford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £620.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good. The p. curacy of Anstey, formerly annexed to T., has become a separate rectory. There are an endowed school with £26 a year, and charities £52. Bishop Latimer was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thurcaston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Charnwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thurcaston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurcaston, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thurcaston".