In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Rhuthun like this:
Ruthin.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Denbighshire, on river Clwyd, 7¾ miles SE. of Denbigh by rail - par., 737 ac., pop. 1130; bor. (extending into Llanfair-Dyffryn-Clwyd, Llanfwrog, Llanrhydd, and Llanyuys pars.), 2033 ac., pop. 3033; P.O., T.O, 2 Banks. Market-days, Monday and Saturday. Ruthin has an old collegiate church (originally the church of a white friary) and a grammar school. The "Red Castle" from which it takes its name was built about 1280, and was captured and dismantled by the Parliamentary General Mytton in 1646. Ruthin is a seat of assizes, sessions, and county courts. It has mfrs. of aerated waters, and some trade in agricultural produce and in stone and other building materials. Ruthin was made a municipal bor. by Henry VII.; it is one of the Denbigh District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rhuthun has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rhuthun and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhuthun in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rhuthun".