In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Risca like this:
RISCA, a village and a parish in Newport district, Monmouth. The village stands on the river Ebbw, the Crumlin canal, and the Sirhowy and Newport railway, 5½ miles W N W of Newport; is a thriving place, dependent chiefly on the collieries, tinplate works, and chemical works of Pontymister and Tydee; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Newport, Monmouth. The parish comprises 1,877 acres. Real property, £5, 825; of which £58 are in quarries, and £465in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 2,044; in 1861, 2, 744. Houses, 584. The property is divided among a few. R. House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £102. Patron, the Vicar of Bassaleg. The church is good; and there are chapels for Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Risca has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Caerphilly. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Risca and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Risca, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Risca".