In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pont Y Pridd like this:
PONTYPRIDD, a small town in Lantwit-Vairdre and Llanwonno parishes, Glamorgan; on the river Taff. and on the Taff Vale railway, at the junction of the Rhondabranch to Treherbet, 13 miles N W by N of Cardiff. Itsname signifies "the bridge of the earthen hut, " and alludes to a mud house which stood on its site, and to afamous bridge constructed over the Taff, in 1755 and previous years, by the self-taught architect William Edwards, whose biography is narrated in the " Pursuit of Knowledge." The bridge stands on a site where the riveris broad and the banks are low; exhibits ingenuity ofcontrivance to overcome the disadvantageousness of the site; and is of one arch, 140 feet in span, 35 feet high, and 15 feet broad. ...
The town has a head post-office, ‡ a railway-station with telegraph, two good inns, and a church in the Norman style, erected in 1838; and it carries on much trade in connexion with neighbouring iron-works and collieries. A poor-law district of Pontypriddwas formed in 1863, out of the district of Merthyr-Tydvil.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pont Y Pridd has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pont Y Pridd and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pont Y Pridd, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pont Y Pridd".