In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shenton like this:
SHENTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Market-Bosworth parish, Leicester; 5½ miles ENE of Atherstone r. station. It has a post-office under Nuneaton, and comprises 1,483 acres. Real property, £2,444. Pop., 206. Houses, 42. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Major F. Wollaston. The living is annexed to Market-Bosworth. The church was rebuilt in 1862; and is in the decorated English style, and cruciform. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shenton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hinckley and Bosworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shenton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shenton, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shenton".