In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saxby like this:
SAXBY, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the river Eye and the Syston and Peterborough railway, 4½ miles E by N of Melton-Mowbray. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1, 430. Real property, £2, 363. Pop., 117. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to the Countess of Harborough. Ancient weapons, earthen urns, bridle bits, fibulæ, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory, united with Stapleford, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £168.* Patron, the Countess of Harborough. The church was rebuilt in 1789, and has a spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Saxby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Saxby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saxby, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Saxby".