In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ravenstone like this:
RAVENSTONE, a village in Leicester, and a parishpartly also in Derby, but all in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The village stands 2 miles W of Coalville r.station, and 4 S E of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; and has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-ouch. The parish comprises 550 acres in Leicester, and 580 in Derby. Real property, £2, 520. Pop., 248 and 144. Houses, 54 and 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with R. Hall, belongs to L. Fosbrooke, Esq. R. House is the residence of the Rev. R. G. Cresswell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £320.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, ingood condition; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and an alms-house-hospital for 36 women.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ravenstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North West Leicestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ravenstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ravenstone in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ravenstone".