In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Askham Richard like this:
ASKHAM-RICHARD, or West Askham, a parish in the district and county of York; contiguous to Askham Bryan, 3 miles NW of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 4½ SW of York. Post Town, York. Acres, 960. Real pro perty, £1,649. Pop., 235. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200. Patron, John Wood, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Askham Richard has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of York. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Askham Richard and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Askham Richard, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Askham Richard".