In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newcastle Emlyn like this:
Newcastle Emlyn (or Newcastle in Emlyn), small town, Kenarth par., Carmarthenshire, and Llandyfriog par., Cardiganshire, on both sides of river Teifi, 8½ miles W. of Llandyssil sta. and 26 miles NW. of Carmarthen, pop. 1753; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is an ancient place, and was at one period called Dinas Emlyn. It is said that the Romans had a fortress here, and that on its site was built the castle from which the town takes its name. The castle, which forms the chief object of interest, was held for the king during the Civil War, since which time it has fallen into decay. Newcastle Emlyn contains Adpar, one of the Cardigan District of Parl. Boroughs, which returned 1 member until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newcastle Emlyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newcastle Emlyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newcastle Emlyn in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newcastle Emlyn".