In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardsley East like this:
ARDSLEY (East), a parish in Wakefield district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Wakefield railway, 1½ mile from Ardsley station, and 3½ NW of Wakefield. It has a post office under Wakefield. Acres, 1,630. Real property, £3,963. Pop., 1,069. Houses, 219. The property is not much divided. Coal abounds; and there is a large woollen factory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £369.* Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church is good; and there are a U. Free Methodist chapel and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ardsley East has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ardsley East and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardsley East, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ardsley East".