In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown Linford like this:
NEWTOWN-LINFORD, a village and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, near Charnwood forest, 3 miles N by E of Kirby-Muxloe r. station, and 5½ N W of Leicester; and has a postal-pillar under Leicester, and a good inn. The parish comprises 3, 990 acres. Real property, £2, 572. Pop., 500. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. Roecliffe Hall is the residence of Sir F. W. Heygate, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church is an old building, with a tower; and was restored in 1860. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newtown Linford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Charnwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newtown Linford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown Linford, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtown Linford".