In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleton le Street like this:
APPLETON-LE-STREET, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Roman road to Aldborough, near the river Rye, 3½ miles WNW of New Malton r. station. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £1,815. Pop., 185. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Swinton, Broughton, Amotherby, and Hildenley. Post Town, New Malton. Acres, 4,715. Real property, £8,117. Pop., 987. Houses, 213. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £515.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Peach. The church has an early Norman tower, contains two recumbent effigies, and was recently restored in a manner incongruous with its date and style. Charities, £26.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Appleton le Street has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Appleton le Street and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleton le Street, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Appleton le Street".