In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ampleforth like this:
AMPLEFORTH, a village, three townships, and a parish in Helmsley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village lies near the Thirsk and Driffield railway, 4 miles SW of Helmsley; it comprises the townships of Ample forth-St. Peter and Ampleforth-Birdforth in the parish of Ampleforth, and the township of Ampleforth-Oswald kirk, in the parish of Oswaldkirk; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under York. Pop., 605. A Roman Catholic college was established at Ampleforth Lodge, in Ampleforth-Oswaldkirk, in 1802; grew from a small commencement to great size and con sequence; received the addition of a church in 1856, and of new college buildings in 1861; is now a massive quadrangular pile, in the pointed style of the 14th and 15th centuries; and numbers among its pupils many members of the English Romanist aristocracy. ...
Ample forth and Oswaldkirk parishes are interlocked with each other through the village. Acres of the two, 3,573. Real property, £6,516. Pop. of Ampleforth alone, 450. House, 99. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £261. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels. Charities, £29.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ampleforth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ampleforth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ampleforth, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ampleforth".